2011年10月2日日曜日

Co-Founders of Cult-Favorite Boutique and Label No.6 Tell Us About Their New Blog

No. 6's chic boutique has been drawing stylish New Yorkers for nearly a decade now; their classic clogs have already become a staple among Hollywood’s A-list and their Urban Outfitters collaboration 6X6 was an instant success. And now the stylish duo behind the label, Morgan Yakus and Karin Bereson, have set their sights on conquering another venue: The Blogosphere.

Similar to their store, No.6's blog is a collection of “stuff we like” from Yakus and Bereson, who also work as a vintage collector and stylist, respectively. It features a look from their store on a model, shot right outside the boutique–and it reads not unlike a personal style diary…except with expertly styled outfits and gorgeously designed, unique duds–courtesy of No. 6 of course.

We caught up with the duo to chat about their store’s success, what it’s like to work with your best friend–and why you should visit their blog. Like now.

Read on to see what they had to say:

Let’s start at the beginning: Why did you guys decide to go into retail in the first place?
Morgan: Well, Karin comes from a retail family and I had a vintage clothing business…we had met years ago and then at one point it just made sense…it was very natural for us.
Karin: I remember I had bumped into Morgan and she was working with vintage collections and I saw some of the stuff she had and literally every piece was gem. I had been styling–and I still work on shoots here and there–but I’ve always been more interested in working with and dressing real women. I find it so much more exciting and challenging. Anyway, I saw some of her pieces and I was asked her if she wanted try this…to combine her vintage expertise with new designers that I’d become familiar with through styling.

No.6 has become well-known for launching the careers of several young designers. How do you decide what designers to carry in your store?
K: It’s just stuff we like!
M: I agree! It’s designers we’d want to wear.
K: For both of us the way we personally dress…it’s not about being a slave to fashion. It’s just about what looks cool and what feels right. I think that’s how we approach the designers [we carry] also. It’s just about finding stuff that we really love.
M: And also exclusivity is important to us–exclusivity, in the way that they aren’t sold anywhere else. It makes [the designer] more special for our customer.

Out of all the amazing stuff that we’re sure gets sent to you, what makes a garment or a designer stick out to you? Are there any qualities you look out for?
K: For me, [it's] stuff that’s different. When i go shopping myself I just feel like I see the same things in every store, it all kind of mushes together. So when i’m at a tradeshow, or looking at a new designer, I’m looking for something that’s different.
M: Yeah, I think we look for new designers or clothing that aren’t necessarily pretty or sexy or obvious on the rack but that once the customer puts them one, it’s like oh my god, I’m going to have this thing forever.

Now, onto that just-launched blog: Why did you decide to go online in this way?
M: We just thought it would be a fun creative project. It started as just a place where we could put up real-time information and post about the clothing and things [in our store] that we really liked and now it’s evolved into this great thing where we’re casting models, and posting every day. We’ve had so many people email us–people from around the world are seeing it, lots of people are buying things and it’s nice to be able to reach another group of people who wouldn’t necessarily be able to get these designers or our own collection.
K: One of the things I really like about [the blog]–which relates to our store–is that it’s sort of like calling up your best friend and being like ‘oh my god, I just got this amazing dress–you have to see it!’ It’s very approachable and it’s attainable. It’s not overly accessorized, and it’s literally like what you see, you can buy it and you can wear it.

You guys obviously have great rapport with one another. How do you keep up such a great friendship, while also being business partners?
M: Communication is key…being open to listening, trying new things and not being afraid to take risks and not getting stuck in one place together.

Are there any exciting new collaborations you have coming up?
K: Possibly…we can’t talk about them just yet.

What’s the future of your brand, in broad terms, then?
M: Global domination! No, I’m kidding! Obviously, I still want it to be a much bigger brand but we want to keep the coolness factor so it still feels special and not over saturated. Whether it’s more art projects or more music projects or throwing a real fun party in our basement…that’s kind of the fun of it, we own our own business so we can do or change whatever want. Whatever we do, we hope there’s always an element of doing something thats fun for us.


View the original article here

0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿